You know how all the weird quirky things you do as a family, but don’t really think about, come to the surface when someone new enters your humble abode? Just me? Well, ok.
The last few days I have had a childhood friend and her two kids staying with us. Now, I know we are weird, but there were a few things I had to explain about the running of our home which makes my family either really awesome or really weird.
I’m going with awesome.
10 Reasons my family is awesome:
1. Our color coded lifestyle. ~ Our cups are color coded, as are our lunch bins and calendar. But back to the cups. Each person in our family has a certain color cup. It cuts down on the amount of cups we wash and allows for reusability without the horrible possibility of someone dirtying your cup with their saliva. What do the guests do? I saved a few un-color coded cups on a high up shelf for such an emergency.
2. My strange affinity for Friends before bed and uncanny knack of being able to quote lines. ~ Yes, I am THAT cool. How YOU doin’?
3. Mr. Baby Man who runs around the neighborhood in a Snow White princess dress with painted fingernails courtesy of his 4 year-old sister. ~ Best parenting moment of the last few days was hearing the neighbor ask, “Buddy, do you need help with your dress?”
4. Insta-friends. ~ Have kids who need a friend? Chances are, I’ve got one that age!
5. Buy 1 get 3 free package deal! ~ Your kid may THINK they just got one new friend, but chances are that if they befriended one of my four youngest, they inherit the other three.
6. The incessant noise. ~ The only quiet you get in this house is at about 11:57 at night when Mom realizes she isn’t sure what one of her scouts going to camp tomorrow needs to bring and decides to email his scout leader and then blog.
7. All the happy…and the crying. ~ I have a loud and happy household. Unless there is crying…all the crying. And booboos. We must cry if there is a booboo.
8. You are never alone. ~ I never thought that being alone was a bad thing, but in this house, it’s hard to do. You almost always have a buddy…whether you want one or not!
9. We eat yummy lunches. ~ It’s true. And I think I may have converted my friend right on over to our healthier way of lunching.
10. The spousal unit. ~ He’s just cool. And awesome. And totally knows how to break the ice. Which is awesome. And cool. And since he’s cool, I MUST be cool!
And that is what you would get if you spent a week with me…a whole lot of awesome, or chaos. Whatever.